Friday, November 09, 2007

Let me lay, down in your arms

And I'm tired from all the weight
I'm tired of being strong
So won't you come and stay
And let me lay down in your arms
Down in your arms

The Anatomy of a Damsel in Distress:

Why is it that my every character ends up with a good element of classic Damsel in Distress? I'm infinately intrigued by this archetypal character. I guess maybe I'm very much writing out what I want...need...in my own life?

Okay. This is silly. Who wants that knight in shining armor to come and make it all better? To carry the weight of all your burdens on his proverbial strong arms and keep you safe, keep you warm, keep you fed? Take away all the hurt and tears and make life full of songs and love and little bright fat children? I do.

Not physically....the reality of me is, I'm very much not into males in real life. They don't meet my expectations. They don't work for me....in other areas either. Not really. I rarely find myself attracted to a member of the opposite sex. Part of it is how very uncomfortable I am around men in general. I feel safer and more comfortable with females in intimate situations (and by intimate I don't even mean just sex...I mean talking as well!)

So why is it in writing I want the proverbial male hero? The warrior/poet/lover?

Because in fantasy the Damsel in Distress always gets her fairy tale ending. There is no pain or death for her or her love.

And in real life....I have to be the strong one. The breadwinner, the single parent, the supportive and loving one who listens and never has "problems" of her own to add to anothers misery. The healer, the problem solver, the fixer, the lap to rock the sobbing child, the ears to listen to the sobbing lover.

I just need to be swept up and held myself. Just for a few hours in my ultra romantic fantastic imagination.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hippolyta said...

Hehe. I dito on the damsel in distress factor - I know you, they kinda do end up like that.

But you know what, sugar? You rock. You are a single, working mom and you rock.

Wish I could sweep you up and spoil you for a day!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Pensive said...

dittos Hipp's comments.. you DO rock and you know you always have a shoulder, sweets.. it's yours.. -winks and snugs-

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home