Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Entrenched in Fantasy

Okay...

Those of you know know me KNOW I have this thing for Sean Bean and for Gerry Butler. You may also have guessed at a developing THING for Orlando Bloom and Christian Bale...

I'm not "into" males in real life. It's odd but I really get no "Whew" moments from many of the men I know or meet or see. So why my fascination with actors? Well...my Girlfriend creates characters with them. I fall in love with them. Wildly.

It's all her.

Is this weird? Maybe. Maybe not. It's all a part of who and what we are together. It was writing/gaming that brought us together in the first place so isn't this a natural extension? I think so? Or maybe it's delving to far into fantasy?

I know there are others of you out there who have fallen in love with fellow gamers. What do you think. Do you fall in love with the Characters? Is it the person behind the characters? The bits of themselves they put into each one? Is it wrong to be so entrenched in fantasy that you feel real love for fictional beings?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pensive said...

I wasn't going to reply at first and put my feelings into this, but then I asked myself why? I've asked myself these questions before and even beat myself up because of them. Trust me on that.

I'll simply say this, sweetie. Our friendship, yours and mine, was forged from roleplaying together. We've both forged many friendships in relation to character development and interactive roleplay. And yes, I've forged something incredibly special with someone because of roleplay. Even in a fantasy world where we create many different characters and write their life stories, we are still very much a part of our characters. It's impossible not to be. So becoming comfortable playing with someone and falling in love with their own characters time and time again, obviously proves that there is truly something there. Just as disliking other characters, in kind.

So my answer to your questions.....
1. "Do you fall in love with the Characters?" YES

2. "Is it the person behind the characters? The bits of themselves they put into each one?" Again, YES

3. "Is it wrong to be so entrenched in fantasy that you feel real love for fictional beings?" I don't believe it's wrong. Obviously something is "right" in order for it to happen.

Look how lucky we are because we've fallen in love with certain characters we play opposite of. That we've forged such great bonds of friendship and can share what we do and what we love to do when it comes to fantasy roleplay. Tell me this, sweet one, how can that be wrong?

7:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer W said...

Maybe it's just sick that I fall in love with "her" as a man.

But then....our whole relationship raises eyebrows of the "straights".

Eh. Maybe I worry to much?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Pensive said...

-chuckles-.. yes, sweets.. you worry too much.. just enjoy your play together and what you have together outside of the roles you play as characters.. don't over think things.. trust me on that.. it doesn't do any good and it doesn't answer any more questions.. -hugs you tight-

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home